Tuesday, November 29, 2011

I'm an official bandster...I PB'D!

  I so wish I had someones phone number last night. Now that I think of it, we should have some sort of hotline set up. You know, someone that can answer all the crazy questions that come up: I just had surgery, what can I do about the gas pain? Is it normal to shart? HELP, I'M STUCK, WHAT DO I DO?
  Yeah, that last one, that was me last night. I was banded 6 months ago and had my first stuck/PB incident last night. I had my most recent fill on 11/17 and knew I was close to my "sweet spot." I haven't had any issues with any foods since surgery. I've been able to eat everything and it goes down fine. Some foods I have to go slow with, and if I don't chew well enough, I do feel it go down slowly. Never stuck though; that is until last night!
  We had BBQ steak and I was able to eat about 6 bites with no issues. Then I took a bite that was either too big or I didn't chew well enough, and I was stuck. I jumped up to race to the restroom and hovered above the sink...and nothing happened! It just stayed there! I was running around the house pounding my chest like Tarzan and beating the walls with my fists. It hurt soooo bad! It stayed stuck for 45 min. when I finally decided I needed to try something. It was not coming up or going down on its own. So, I decided to make myself PB. I didn't want to, but I didn't know what other choice I had. After a couple of rounds I felt better. After about an hour I decided to try something to drink. Of course I grabbed some water, right? NOT! I grabbed a nice super bubbly, 7-UP! What was I thinking!!!!! I took 1 sip and immediately knew there was going to be an issue. I threw the soda to my husband and made a mad dash to the bathroom. No assistance needed this time. The soda spewed out of my mouth like a rocket and I felt instantly better. This morning I tried a little sip of water and it went down ok, but didn't feel great. I will stick to liquids today and maybe try a yogurt for lunch and see how it goes.
  I hope I did everything I was supposed to do (besides attempt a drink a 7-up of course!) I was very nervous about making myself PB, but I didn't feel I had any other options. What do you guys do when you are stuck or in a similar situation? I don't plan on letting this happen again, but I am not a silly girl. I am sure at some point in my life I may get stuck again!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Ashleigh
    Sorry to hear you had such a rough first PB experience. It can be hard when something like that happens. You did the right thing and I hope you are feeling better know. Just stay again from the 7up :p

    ReplyDelete