Friday, November 25, 2011

Weekly Weigh In and Thanksgiving

  I haven't done an official weigh in for quite awhile. Partly because I weigh myself all day every day and know right where I am, and partly because I fluctuate so much that it always seems to stay right around 263 no matter what. I have decided that in order to hold myself accountable and have a reliable record, I must commit to an "official" weekly weigh in. It used to be Thursdays since this was the day of the week I had surgery, so I will keep it on Thursdays. I weighed myself yesterday and was so excited to see 261! Yay...this is a new low for me since surgery.  I am going to try to hold myself to just the one weigh in per week. This is going to be VERY hard for me since I am used to weighing in at least 3 times a day. Unhealthy; yes, I believe so. Mentally that is. It plays games with me, and I only make myself more frustrated. So here is to only weighing in on Thursdays and keeping track of it!
  I hope everyones Thanksgiving went well. I was very proud of myself on the eating front, but at the same time, I didn't feel that it was that hard to hold back. Could this be the band and myself finally working together? I sure hope so! So, here is what was on my dinner plate:
  • About 3oz turkey
  • 3 tbsp. green bean casserole w/1 onion ring on the top
  • 2 tbsp stuffing
  • 2 heaping tbsp. mashed potatoes w/1/2 ladle of gravy
That was it! And I didn't even eat all that was on my plate. I ate all of my turkey, and all of my green bean casserole, and left about a bite each of my mashed potatoes and stuffing. Notice how there was NO DINNER ROLL on my plate. That's right people, I stayed away from the bread basket! This was a huge accomplishment now that I look back on it. During the time though, again, none of these decisions were hard for me. Its just what I wanted on my plate, and I stopped when I was full. Plain and simple. Now, I did have a regular sized slice of pumpkin pie; but this is what I believe any "normal" (meaning non-obese) person would have had. I never set out to get the band to stop eating what I enjoy, just to eat it in moderation and on special occasions/holidays. In the past I never ate more than 1 slice in the first place, but I can tell you that I would have purchased a whole pumpkin pie myself and have finished about 3/4 of it in about a week and a half after Thanksgiving. I did take some leftover pie home with me, about 4 slices, but I fully intend on just having 1 more slice and throwing the rest out. I hate to waste, but for some reason, my mother-n-law purchased 2 of the large pies from Costco and and there was just too much leftover, even after divvying it up. Again, this should not be a hard decision for me. I think I am finally at the point mentally where I am making decisions that while a certain food still sounds good to me, it is not worth it in the end. I am making that choice. Be healthy, or stay fat forever. I'll take the former please!

3 comments:

  1. Hey ! I had no dinner roll yesterday too ... so empowering :) Yes, have an official weigh in day ... go ahead and weigh yourself whenever you want but stick to the one day, the one number. Hopefully, this will help your head get wrapped around the numbers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seriously mostly ate rolls last Thanksgiving and this year none for me either! Congrats on the new low on the scale!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you really had it under control this year, great job!!

    ReplyDelete